Lorde - Melodrama Tour

by - Wednesday, March 21, 2018

LOS ANGELES, CA








Lorde has been one of those artists whose music has been so personal to me. Pure Heroine was the album that defined my high school years; every song on that record somehow related to a point in my adolescent years. I felt what Ella felt (this is why she's a genius songwriter!).

Melodrama is a brilliant album. It makes you wanna dance, sob, party and then cry some more all at the same time. There are so many details in the writing, production, the way she sings and even how the songs transition, that gives it a cathartic feeling. It's an explosion of feelings painted in blues and purples.

I got my tickets for the Melodrama tour way back in June of last year. I remember that horrible AXS presale like it was yesterday. But after struggling to pay attention in my film class while simultaneously trying to fight every other user on AXS, I managed to get tickets for my friend Cassie and I. We were so excited to see Ella again, because the last time we saw her together was junior year of high school (a loong time ago!).

Unfortunately we missed the opening acts, because we decided to spend some more time out in Pasadena with our friend. But we didn't mind it much as long as we made it on time for our girl Ella.

The stage and the production were very simple, there wasn't much going on on stage because the focus was the music and I appreciated that so much. There were moments during Writer in the Dark and Liability where Ella would just sit down, sing and take in the crowd. It felt so special just to be in the same room as the woman who wrote such important songs that have carried me through hard and happy periods of my life.

My favourite performances were 400 Lux, Ribs, Supercut and Perfect Places.
The song 400 Lux means a lot to me, first because Ella always talks about how this song (and most of pure heroine) is about the life in the suburbs. I think this is the reason I love her music so much, because she truly understands what it's like to live in a place that always stays the same. Growing up in suburban San Diego makes you as much happy as it does sad. You're so close to a big city like LA, you're right there where everything exciting happens, but yet you're so far from it. I think she captures that yearning so well in her music it's impossible for me not to have an emotional reaction.

Before there was Melodrama, there was Ribs. She performed a new version of the song, and at first I was kind of disappointed that I won't be able to hear my favourite song in its original form, but I was pleasantly surprised (I'll never doubt Ella again!). Ribs is the original party song (no, not a happy one). It's a song about a party, a type of a house party you'd throw when your parents are out of town. But it's a low-key party too, it's friends who've known each other forever, they get together and share their sorrows and try to forget how scary it is to be growing up and getting old. I just love everything about this song so much, and I'm so glad I got to hear it live again.

Ella is one of the most amazing performers I had the pleasure of seeing live, even when she plays huge arenas such as the Staples Center, her shows still feel so intimate. If you ever get a chance to see her, please do because you will not regret it!

You can get Melodrama tour tickets here!

Setlist:
Sober
Homemade Dynamite
Tennis Court
Magnets (Disclosure cover)
Buzzcut Season
400 Lux
Ribs
The Louvre
Hard Feelings
Yellow Flicker Beat
Writer in the Dark
Solo (Frank Ocean cover)
Liability
Sober II (Melodrama)
Supercut
Royals
Perfect Places
Green Light
Loveless
Precious Metals
Team


For concert's I've been to, and the ones that are coming up, check here.

You May Also Like

0 comments